Although the fire has meant that the Archives and Collections office is currently closed to visitors, we are still happily pursuing a broad collection that shows the work of students and the school across its life span. This year, to this end, the school approved new funding to enable the purchase of work from graduating GSA students in Fine Art, Architecture and Design. This year has seen some very interesting additions to the collection. We acquired:
- Two screen prints from Alex Kuusik who won this year’s Newbery Medal.
- An architectural model by Joshua Doyle won the Chairman’s medal for architecture.
- ‘Vinewood’ by Tim Dalzell. A topographical sculpture of one of the hills from the Grand theft Auto series, this model depicts the sediment layers beneath the virtual world. Many of Tim Dalzell’s pieces seem to draw on inspiration from virtual worlds and environments resulting in quirky referential work. Much of this can be seen on his website found here. For this work he received the Chairman’s Medal for fine art.
- Three brooches by Ciara Stapleton who took the Chairman’s Medal for design.
- A coloured longitudinal drawing and CAD file copy by the WO Hutchison Prize winner Catriona Liggat.
- The PW Davidson prize went to Liu Tong who produced a variety of playful pieces of jewellery that incorporate a number of plastic animals. This particular piece is going to join part of our collections hosted in Window on the Mack to continue the progression of the school’s timeline through its historical collections.
- Finally the other WO Hutchison prize was won by Sonia Hufton. Sonia is going to provide a choice of drawings for the archive to choose from for our collections in the near future.
All of these pieces will be added to our collections to continue recording the progression and results of the school’s work.